www.handicapmd.com - HandicapMD

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Wisconsin

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Wisconsin

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Wisconsin: A Comprehensive Guide

Have you lost or had your handicap placard stolen in Wisconsin? It can be frustrating and inconvenient, but worry not – replacing it is easier than you might think. In this detailed guide, we'll walk you through the entire process of how to replace a lost or stolen handicap placard in Wisconsin. Whether you're dealing with the bureaucracy for the first time or just need a refresher, we've got you covered. Let's dive right in!


Losing a handicap placard can be a challenging experience, especially when it's essential for your daily activities. Fortunately, Wisconsin provides a streamlined process for replacing lost or stolen handicap placards, ensuring you can regain your mobility and accessibility. In this guide, we'll provide you with clear instructions, tips, and insights to make the process as smooth as possible. Whether you're a resident of Milwaukee, Madison, or any other city in Wisconsin, our guide is tailored to assist you.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Wisconsin

Replacing your lost or stolen handicap permit in Wisconsin involves a few straightforward steps:

Reporting the Loss or Theft

  1. Contact Local Authorities: If your handicap placard was stolen, report the theft to your local law enforcement agency. This step helps prevent misuse of the placard.

Obtain a Replacement Application

  1. Download the Application: Visit the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) website and download the "Application for Replacement License Plate, MV2940" form.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Wisconsin

Complete the Application

  1. Provide Necessary Information: Fill out the application form with accurate information, including your name, address, and vehicle details.

Medical Certification

  1. Medical Certification Requirement: If your previous placard was issued due to a medical condition, you might need your physician's certification again. Consult your doctor and obtain the necessary documentation.

Proof of Identity

  1. Prepare Identification: Gather proof of your identity, such as a driver's license or state ID card. This ensures that the replacement placard is issued to the correct person.


  1. Pay the Fee: There is a fee associated with replacing a lost or stolen handicap placard. Check the current fee on the WisDOT website and submit the payment as instructed.

Submit the Application

  1. Submit the Application: Mail the completed application, along with the required documentation and payment, to the address provided on the form.

Receive Your Replacement

  1. Wait for Processing: After receiving your application, WisDOT will process it. Once approved, you will receive your replacement placard by mail.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I expedite the replacement process?

While Wisconsin doesn't offer an official expedited service, submitting a complete and accurate application can help speed up the process.

Can someone else apply for the replacement on my behalf?

Yes, you can authorize someone else to apply for the replacement placard on your behalf. They will need proper identification and a signed authorization letter from you.

What if my placard was damaged, not lost, or stolen?

If your placard is damaged, you can still use it temporarily, but it's recommended to replace it. Follow the same application process, and if applicable, provide the damaged placard along with your application.

Can I check the status of my application online?

Yes, you can check the status of your replacement application online through the WisDOT website. Use the provided tracking tools to monitor the progress.

Is there a time limit for reporting the loss or theft?

While there is no strict time limit, it's recommended to report the loss or theft as soon as possible to prevent misuse of your placard.

What should I do if I find my lost placard after receiving a replacement?

If you find your lost placard after getting a replacement, you should return the replacement placard to WisDOT to avoid potential confusion or misuse.


Losing or having your handicap placard stolen can be a frustrating experience, but replacing it doesn't have to be. Wisconsin's well-defined process ensures that you can regain your mobility and convenience without unnecessary hassle. By following the steps outlined in this guide and ensuring you provide accurate documentation, you'll soon have your replacement placard in hand. Remember, timely reporting and proper documentation are key to a smooth replacement process.

So, if you're a Wisconsin resident in need of a replacement handicap placard, don't worry – you're now equipped with the knowledge to navigate the process with ease.