www.handicapmd.com - HandicapMD

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in South Dakota

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in South Dakota

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in South Dakota


Welcome to our comprehensive guide on how to replace a lost or stolen handicap placard in South Dakota. Losing a handicap pass can be inconvenient, but rest assured, the process of replacing it is straightforward. Whether it was misplaced or stolen, we've got you covered. In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of obtaining a new one, the necessary documentation, and any additional requirements specific to South Dakota. So, let's get started on ensuring you have your new handicap placard as quickly and efficiently as possible.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in South Dakota

1. Report the Loss or Theft

The first step to replace a lost or stolen handicap permit in South Dakota is to report the incident to the local law enforcement authorities. File a report detailing the circumstances of the loss or theft. This step is crucial to protect yourself from any potential misuse of the placard and to ensure its cancellation in the system.

2. Gather Required Information

To proceed with the replacement process, gather the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Driver's license or identification number
  • Vehicle registration information
  • Lost or stolen placard details (if possible)

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in South Dakota

3. Visit the South Dakota Department of Revenue Office

Once you have filed a report and gathered the necessary information, visit your nearest South Dakota Department of Revenue office. This is where you can apply for a replacement handicap placard. Locate the office nearest to you and plan a visit during their working hours.

4. Complete the Application

Upon arrival at the Department of Revenue office, request an application form for a replacement handicap placard. Complete the form accurately and provide all the required information. Double-check for any errors before submitting it to avoid delays in the process.

5. Provide Proof of Identity

To verify your identity, you will need to present a valid photo identification document. Your driver's license or state-issued identification card should suffice. Make sure the document is up-to-date and not expired.

6. Submit Required Documents

Along with the completed application form and identification, you may need to submit additional documents. These may include:

  • Vehicle registration papers
  • Medical certification of disability (if required)
  • South Dakota driver's license or ID card

Ensure you have all the necessary documents in hand before heading to the Department of Revenue office.

7. Pay the Replacement Fee

There is usually a nominal fee associated with replacing a lost or stolen South Dakota handicap placard. Check the current fee amount and be prepared to make the payment at the office. Accepted forms of payment may include cash, credit/debit cards, or checks.

8. Wait for Processing

After submitting your application and paying the fee, the Department of Revenue will process your request. The processing time may vary, but it typically takes a few business days. During this time, the authorities will verify the information and documentation provided.

9. Receive Your New Handicap Placard

Once your application is approved, you will receive your new disability permit. The permit will be mailed to the address you provided on the application form. It's essential to keep the permit in a safe and easily accessible place in your vehicle.

10. Update Your Records

Now that you have received your new permit, make sure to update your records with the new placard's information. Remove the old placard from your vehicle and replace it with the new one. Notify your medical professional if there have been any changes in your disability status or if you no longer require the placard.


How long does it take to get a replacement disability pass in South Dakota?

The processing time for a replacement in SD is typically a few business days. However, it may vary depending on the volume of applications received at the Department of Revenue.

Can I apply for a replacement pass online?

As of now, SD does not offer an online application process for a replacement. You must visit the Department of Revenue office in person to apply for a replacement.

What should I do if my lost pass is found after I get a replacement?

If you find your lost pass after receiving a replacement, you must return the found permit to the Department of Revenue. Using two passes is not allowed and may lead to penalties.

Is there an expiration date for a replacement disability pass?

Yes, replacements in SD have an expiration date. The expiration date is usually indicated on the permit. Make sure to renew before it expires if you still need it.

Can someone else apply for a replacement pass on my behalf?

Yes, another individual, such as a family member or caregiver, can apply for a replacement on your behalf. However, they will need to present proper authorization and identification when applying.

Are there any penalties for misuse of a disability pass?

Yes, misusing a disabled parking pass is a serious offense and may result in fines, the revocation, or other legal consequences. Always use the permit for its intended purpose and only when the person it was issued to is present in the vehicle.


Losing or having a handicap placard stolen can be a frustrating experience, but the process of replacing it in South Dakota is relatively simple. By following the steps outlined in this guide and ensuring you have all the necessary documentation, you can obtain a new one efficiently. Remember to report the loss or theft to the authorities and take steps to protect yourself from potential misuse. Additionally, always keep your pass up-to-date and renew it when necessary. With your new disability pass in hand, you can continue to enjoy the accessibility benefits it provides.