www.handicapmd.com - HandicapMD

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Michigan

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Michigan

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Michigan


Losing or having your disability tag stolen can be a frustrating experience, but rest assured that the state of Michigan provides a straightforward process for replacing it. This article will guide you through the steps involved in obtaining a replacement handicap placard in Michigan, ensuring that you can regain the convenience and accessibility the placard provides. We will cover the required documentation, application procedures, frequently asked questions, and more.

Understanding the Importance of a Handicap Placard in Michigan

A handicap placard is a valuable resource for individuals with disabilities. It allows them to park in designated accessible parking spaces, ensuring closer proximity to their destinations and reducing the physical strain of getting to and from their vehicles. Disability permits also serve as a visible indication to others that the vehicle's driver or passenger has specific accessibility needs.

Eligibility for a Handicap Placard

Before diving into the replacement process, it's essential to understand the eligibility criteria for obtaining a handicap permit in Michigan. The state grants placards to individuals who have a qualifying disability, such as mobility impairments, respiratory conditions, cardiac conditions, or visual impairments. Consulting with a healthcare professional is advisable to determine eligibility and understand the specific requirements.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard in Michigan

Documents Required for Replacement

To replace a lost or stolen Michigan handicap placard, you will need to gather certain documents to complete the application. Ensure that you have the following:

  • A completed Application for Persons with Disabilities – Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form TR-159)
  • Proof of identification (e.g., driver's license, state-issued ID card)
  • Proof of residency (e.g., utility bill, lease agreement)
  • Documentation from a healthcare professional stating the need for it

Step-by-Step Guide to Replace a Lost or Stolen Handicap Placard

Replacing a lost or stolen handicap placard in Michigan involves a straightforward process. Follow these steps to obtain a replacement:

Step 1: Download and complete the Application for Persons with Disabilities – Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form TR-159).

Step 2: Gather the necessary supporting documents, including proof of identification, proof of residency, and documentation from a healthcare professional.

Step 3: Visit the local Secretary of State office or branch office and submit the completed application and supporting documents.

Step 4: Pay any required fees, which may vary depending on the type of placard requested.

Step 5: Await the processing of your application. Once approved, you will receive your replacement by mail.

How to Obtain a Temporary Placard

In certain situations, you may require a temporary permit while waiting for your replacement to arrive. To obtain a temporary placard in Michigan, follow these steps:

Step 1: Visit the local Secretary of State office or branch office.

Step 2: Provide the necessary identification and documentation to support your temporary placard request.

Step 3: Pay any applicable fees.

Step 4: Receive your temporary permit immediately, allowing you to continue accessing accessible parking spaces until your replacement arrives.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How long does it take to receive a replacement disability pass in Michigan?

A: The processing time for a replacement may vary. It typically takes a few weeks for the Secretary of State office to process your application and mail out the replacement.

Q: Can I apply for a replacement pass online?

A: Unfortunately, the replacement process in Michigan requires an in-person visit to the Secretary of State office or branch office. Online applications are currently unavailable for a replacement.

Q: What should I do if I find my lost disability pass after obtaining a replacement?

A: If you locate your lost disability pass after receiving a replacement, it is crucial to return the found one to the Secretary of State office. This ensures that it cannot be misused and allows the office to update their records accordingly.

Q: Can I use my disability pass in other states?

A: Yes, passes obtained in Michigan are generally recognized and accepted in other states. However, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the specific regulations and requirements of the state you are visiting, as they may have slight variations in their accessibility programs.

Q: Are there any penalties for misusing a disability pass?

A: Yes, misusing a pass is considered a serious offense. Penalties may include fines, the revocation of the pass, or even criminal charges, depending on the circumstances and severity of the misuse.

Q: Can someone else pick up my replacement disability pass on my behalf?

A: Yes, you can authorize someone else to pick up your replacement. They will need to present a signed and dated authorization letter along with their identification.


Losing or having a handicap placard stolen can be an inconvenience, but the process of replacing it in Michigan is designed to be straightforward and efficient. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can ensure a smooth replacement process. Remember to gather the necessary documents, complete the application accurately, and visit the local Secretary of State office to submit your application. Soon, you'll receive your replacement, allowing you to continue enjoying the accessibility and convenience it provides.